Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Running Intersects with Education

Today has been a day of contrasts, where the haves and have-nots intersect.  I started my morning at my children’s elementary school.  I was meeting with the librarian and a group of other parents who will be coaches for this year’s Reading Olympics program. So many parents volunteered to coach, the librarian had to turn several away.  If our little school has a need, parents line up to meet that need.  Pretty lucky.  And easy to take for granted.

My next stop was at a local warehouse club.  I filled up the cart with fruit, granola bars and water, fulfilling a request from a PE teacher at a school just a few blocks from our church (for more about the neighborhood around our church: Neighborhood) He called our church, and the request was sent to me.  He is organizing his school’s participation in International Walk to School Day (you can read more about that here: http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/).  Funny, I had always assumed that the kids in this neighborhood lived in close enough proximity to the school to walk.  For various safety reasons, they ride the bus.
 
This particular school is one that several individuals in our congregation have made concerted efforts to spend time volunteering in the classroom.  It is one of the schools that did not receive full accreditation, missing benchmarks in both English and math.  Contrasts.  I started my drive about 6 miles north of this school on Chamberlayne Road at my children’s blue ribbon, parental presence everywhere, to another school off of Chamberlayne Avenue that is struggling in every way possible.  Low testing scores.  Very little parental involvement.  Kids in unpredictable living situations.  Kids who come to school hungry every day.  Certainly not a place where kids are ready to start the day learning.  Contrasts.

I’ve been giving this a lot of thought lately.  How my children’s school really doesn’t need ME, another can jump in and fill my spot.  My absence really wouldn’t be noticed.  If we are all truly investing in our children, ALL of our children, the haves and the have-nots, perhaps we should invest some of our energy into those schools who truly need us. I am still engaged in my own children’s lives, but my absence at their school is probably not going to impact their education.  But, what difference would my presence at a school in dire need make?  And, imagine the example that sets for my own children…

So, I arrived with my vanload of snacks, and there, at the edge of the parking lot, in a grassy area, no track, no soccer fields like the blue ribbon school I had just left was this PE teacher with several of his students.  They greeted me with such enthusiasm.  They were all eager to help me unload the car.  The teacher reminded them to use their manners, but this group remembered on their own.  They were excited about granola bars and apple slices.  I can’t remember the last time my own children were excited by those things. 

This PE teacher, he is so young and so energetic.  The kids respect and like him.  I thought to myself, "I hope he doesn’t burn himself out.”  One way to prevent burnout is for people to get involved and help.  He shared that he has recently begun a before-school running club and has 50 regulars.  50!  He needs help: adults to cheer the kids on, adults to run with the kids. Huh.  I run.  Didn’t I say something about hoping someone would trust me enough to run with me recently?  Bravery Huh.  That sounds like God speaking pretty loudly to me. Stay tuned…


No comments:

Post a Comment